This potential program involves, in part, the distribution of free needles and various other drug paraphernalia, and includes:
- Sterile syringes
- Personal sharps disposal containers
- Safer injection and wound care supplies
- Fentanyl test strips
- Condoms and lube packets with instructions
- Educational information on HIV, STDs, and viral hepatitis transmission prevention
- Safer smoking supplies (including pipe covers, mouthpieces, foil sheets, clean glass stems, and bubblers)
While the intention behind this approach may seem well-meaning, I firmly believe that it will ultimately do more harm than good to neighborhoods and communities. By providing drug paraphernalia, in large part to homeless individuals, we are essentially enabling and normalizing dangerous drug use, exacerbating addiction issues, and potentially putting our community at an increased risk.
Please join me in opposing this proposal, or components of it, for San Diego. Your input and active participation can make a critical difference in thwarting this harmful strategy and safeguarding our communities.