I wanted to bring to your attention a critical issue concerning all San Diego County residents – the contentious Road User Charge, commonly known as the mileage tax, proposed by SANDAG (San Diego Association of Governments).
In December 2021, SANDAG approved the 2021 Regional Transportation Plan, including the controversial mileage tax, despite significant public outcry. However, there has been a recent development that offers a glimmer of hope. Last September, SANDAG's Board of Directors voted to direct its staff to exclude the mileage tax from the Regional Transportation Plan. Unfortunately, SANDAG's Executive Director disregarded this decision and retained the Road User Charge for his ambitious $160 billion project.
San Marcos Mayor Rebecca Jones, who serves on the SANDAG Board of Directors, has taken a stand against this unjust taxation. She has successfully pushed for this matter to be placed on the agenda for the upcoming SANDAG Board meeting.
We have a crucial opportunity to voice our opposition to this intrusive and burdensome taxation policy. If you are against paying for every mile you drive and do not want to be tracked and taxed for your travels, now is the time to take action.
What You Can Do:
1. Attend the Meeting: Show your support for Mayor Rebecca Jones and the other like-minded Board of Directors by attending the SANDAG Board meeting this Friday.
- Date: Friday, September 22
- Time: 8:30 am
- Location: 401 B Street, Suite 800, San Diego, CA 92101
2. Submit a Public Comment: If you cannot attend in person, you can still make your voice heard by submitting a public comment online. Email comments to the Clerk at [email protected] (please reference Board meeting in your subject line and identify the item number(s) to which your comments pertain). The Road User Charge is item #9.
3. Call or Zoom: For public participation via Zoom webinar, click the link to join the meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89213258900
Webinar ID: 879 3706 5992
To participate via phone, dial a number based on your current location in the US: +1 (669) 900-6833
Encourage your friends, family, and neighbors to join the cause. Share this email and the information about the meeting on social media to raise awareness.
The overwhelming majority of San Diegans do not want this plan to become a reality. We believe in a fair and regional transportation plan that does not overburden our wallets.
Let's come together as a community and make our voices heard.